How to Take Care of Your Car Tires
By: Luke Shaff ~
Every year each person thinks about their tires, and whether they have all weather tires, or whether they have winter and they need to switch to summer. Not only do you need to think about the type of tires on your car, also if they have enough pressure and when do you need new tires and what type of tires. Here are some tips on how to take care of your car tires as we go into a new season.
1. Don’t install mismatched tires. Every tire is different and has a different life depending on how much it is driven on. Ensure that when you buy tires you are getting the same type of tire for each one. This will help make sure that your tires do not have unusual wear and tear and handling on your car. It could also cost an excessive more amount because you might have to keep replacing tires earlier than others.
2. Rotate those tires! It is so important to rotate your tires. This helps keeps the tread even across all of the tires. It is recommended that you rotate your tires every 6-8,000 miles. Tire rotations are pretty inexpensive, or even free depending on where you buy your tires from!
3. Check your tire pressure monthly. Tires can lose air every time you drive on them, and even when it gets cold out. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the leading cause of tire-related crashes is because tires are under inflated. If you only rely on when you bring your car to the mechanic, it could be dangerous. Keep a tire pressure gauge in your car and check your tires just even once a month. Most tire places will fill your tires for free!
4. Align your wheels. You may not know this, but bad alignment can actually be really hard on your tires, causing excessive wear and tear and damage them quicker than their normal lifespan.
5. Road Trips. Do not overload your vehicle right before road trips. Try to make sure that you even out your load so the back tires are not doing more work than the front. Have your tires checked before you go on your road trip. This will help when you are driving a long way and can help prevent problems before your road trip.
Do not forget about your tires! A lot of people do not think about the tires, because it is such a small thing that everyone forgets about, but it is one of the MORE important mechanics on your car that should have more attention than others. Use these tips to help your tires last longer!